Tuesday, June 28, 2011

summer camp

We took our {almost} middle school-age daughter to Camp Tapawingo Sunday--the same church camp we grew up going to. It is the first whole week I believe one of our children have spent away from us. There have been weeks spent at Grandma's, but we would talk on the phone every day. This is different. Another step in the growing up process where she is moving towards more independence. The weekend came and I realized I had been dreading Sunday all week, but I am so glad she gets to go to camp. She is going to have so much fun! Jess said this camp was first on her priority list for summer plans.

I am also really happy that Jess, 11, gets to be at camp with 3 of her cousins, Leslie, 16 who works at camp in the summer, Emma, 10, and Morgan, 12, who are both in her cabin. There are also several kids Jess knows from visiting Salt Creek Baptist, the church we grew up in and where our families still attend. Two summers ago, she went there for mini camp (3 nights for 3rd/4th graders) and was in a cabin with the same girls. So, Jess was so excited to come back. Next week, Andrew and his cousin, Grant, will come for mini camp, as well. The kids will have these great memories to look back on together.

Jess and the bag she packed for a 1 month week stay
Jess and Emma
Jess, Emma, Hannah, Peyton, & Hailey
Morgan and Jess catching up with the Salt Creek girls

Morgan and the girls checking out their cabin and choosing bunks

The girls in front of their cabin


1 comment:

Mindi said...

Brings back memories of my camp days! The girls are so grown up- where has the time gone?