Thursday, October 27, 2011

X-Country Runner



























Tonight, Jess had her 5th and final cross country meet; the league championship across the river in Canby at Mollala River State Park. She finished well--7th out of 40-50 sixth grade girls with a PR of 9.13 for the 2k race. Finishing in the top 10 meant that she was recognized and given a ribbon at the awards ceremony following the race.

We were so proud of her as this was quite an accomplishment. Andrew and Catherine were there at the bridge ringing the cowbells to bring her home. I was holding a video camera and still camera side by side snapping as she ran by. Andrew was surprised with her strong finish, as he's seen her {in pain and crying at a couple finishes}. He was quick to find her and tell her good job, so I know he was proud of her.

Jess decided to do cross country as it was an after school sport she could fit in along with YVBA volleyball, and she said since you don't do much conditioning in VB, she wanted to do XC to get in shape for BB. She loves running and has commented on how good it feels to be in shape. I told her it is great to learn to love running because it is something she can do all her life and when she is done with organized sports. I can't help but think that her training with me for my half marathon this spring also helped her get the running bug.




1 comment:

Mindi said...

Way to go, Jess! I love the part about the cowbell! "I need more cowbell..."