Thursday, May 24, 2007

Memorial Day Camping


Diamond Lake, Oregon--the place that holds so many childhood memories of our family camping trips. We went there almost every Memorial Day when I was growing up.

Today we're leaving to camp at Diamond Lake with my family for the first time since 1997 (when Jac & I were dating--see photos). Diamond Lake is just north of Crater Lake and is a beautiful place. The lake is surrounded by snow-capped mountains--Mt. Bailey, Mt. Thielsen, and Crater Lake. We would fish in Dad's boat and catch huge trout--that was back when fishing was fun to me. Back when there were more fish to catch, it seems.

Now I feel trapped when I go out on a boat and have to sit for hours when I could be biking, hiking, sight-seeing, playing with the kids, crafting, shopping, etc. when we go camping. I don't think I have very much patience anymore (if I ever did). I feel bad that I don't enjoy it more because it is one of Jac's favorite hobbies. But, at least that is the only hobby I don't enjoy so much. We do a lot of other things together, since we both have a ton of interests. We have even planned our hobbies for when we are older and the kids are out of the house. We are going to go backpacking again, and sometime we are planning to do a Sunriver trip without the kids where one day we will pack a picnic and mountain bike along the Deschutes river trail and see all the falls.

Anyway, Diamond Lake has a paved trail all the way around the lake (12 or 13 miles) and we've biked around there several times before. We plan to do that again this trip--we'll see how far our kids get.

I guess it has been 32 degrees in the morning and 70 in the afternoon at the lake--and we're tent camping. At least my family has trailers for the kids to sleep in if it is too cold. I also heard there are a lot of bugs/mosquitoes hatching out. Sounds nice, huh? Well, really there's nothing like getting outdoors and experiencing nature--the crisp air, the smell of the forest...waking up to the sound of water slapping against the shores...and my mom cooking breakfast and entertaining our kids with endless crafts and ideas, while I snuggle back into my warm sleeping bag in our tent and sleep in--just kidding...better go finish packing...

No comments: