Monday, April 23, 2007

"Menu Plan Monday" #4

I continue to add new features to this weekly column on my blog, so here is a run down of where it is at:

From time to time, I may include stories, cooking philosophies, cookbook critiques, kitchen, product and food photos, new ideas, tips, my favorites, etc. I will be beginning a Reference & Resources list in the side bar (or somewhere on this page) to link to previously mentioned items and get all the info.

As far as the menu plan goes, this week I have included some theme nights (like 'Breakfast for Dinner', 'Soup & Sandwiches', etc.), which can be fun because you can use the same themes week-to-week or several times a month by just changing up the ingredients and/or dishes. I also will name a feature recipe of the week, which is a dish I am excited about trying, or one I've already tried and love.

I may give the full recipes, or, in today's case, only ingredients and basic process that I used. Where I have not referred to a source, the recipe is my own. Most of my cooking, as I've said before, is original, but study/research varying recipes I come across and create my own version. After awhile of doing this, you learn to look at the pantry or refrigerator stocks, and just come up with multiple ideas for putting foods together from the top of your head. This is when cooking begins to feel like art.

Saturdays and Sundays may or may not be included in the menu plan. I am finding it hard to plan the weekends on Monday, since my cooking is so often determined by what foods/produce need to be used up next. Sometimes, it will make sense, like when there is company coming or a special event. Often weedends will include outdoor grilling after working outside. That brings me to confess, that I haven't been following my menu plans completely. As we get through the week, I may fall back on something simpler, or do leftovers more when it's necessary. However, it is always good to have a plan--to aid in grocery shopping, for one, and to assure the week run smoothly after 5 o'clock. I am never caught without ideas, at least.

Finally, for the sake of planning and organization, I have ended the column with my Kitchen "To Do's" for the week. Here is where I put down additional tasks, that take advanced time and prep work to complete.

This Week's Menu Plan

Monday-(Feature Recipe of the Week)
Grilled Salmon, Vegetable-Cheese Frittata, w/ sauteed onions, orange bell peppers, fresh tomatoes, asparagus, green beans, basil, egg whites, cottage cheese, and shredded three-Italian cheese blend for topping, seasoned w/ kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, & Spring Greens w/ homemade vinaigrette





Tuesday-
Breakfast for Dinner Night~Dutch Babies (sometimes also called German pancakes and oven pancakes~I make my batter in the blender with whole grains that have been soaked overnight--see Breakfasts & Blender Batter Baking, by Sue Gregg) w/ blended cottage cheese/honey sauce & blueberries, sausage-sweet potato bake (B&BBB, p. 155), spring greens with vinaigrette (to add some green!)

Wednesday-
Cream of Chicken & Mushroom Pasta w/ vegetables (my take on Rachael Ray's Recipe Makeover from her show, 4/23), salad or fruit


Thursday-
Soup & Sandwiches Night~Butternut Squash & Sun-dried Tomato Soup (Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon, p. 228) w/ Roast Beef sandwiches, salad

Friday-
Leftovers Night

This Week's Kitchen "To Do's"
~Begin a new batch of sourdough starter
~Make another batch of jam from our frozen raspberries
~Clean out (make room in) kitchen refrigerator-freezer

3 comments:

Mrs. Breum said...

I always get inspired reading your menus. I hope you continue to post your meals because I really do get great ideas from them, to try on my own. And they're so healthy, too! But how do you find the time? I seem to wait until the last minute and then throw things together. A good day for me is when I have meat marinating ahead of time (and defrosted) in the fridge.

Tami said...

I'm glad you keep telling me that you like my Menu Plans, ...because now I'm starting to believe it! I thought you were just being nice--but I really would like this to be useful to others. You're such a great cook and planner yourself--I still remember/use ideas I have gotten from you.
By the way, it is when I plan my menus that we eat more healthy and I'm not rushed to throw things together--this is what is working for me. I love the planning part, though--it's another thing to do the cooking, but I do stick to my plan for the most part.

Shana said...

I agree with Dawnelle. Your recipes are Ahh inspiring. I too find it hard to plan ahead and just throw things together. I think my whole family would benefit from menu planning. I will give it a shot. I guess it is better to try things then to say they would never work and not try at all. Thanks Tami for your insite!!!