Monday, July 16, 2007

"Menu Plan Monday" #7

I took quite a hietus, but am now back to planning menus. I think it was when we were going to softball games twice a week thus eating out more, then camping, vacationing...etc. that I lost track on menu planning. As it is, I still have quite a lot to catch up on this week after a week as couselor at Jessica's church camp last week, but I am ready to have some order back in our lives once again. I need to get back to baking bread, but haven't been keeping up on that for several weeks. Bread baking isn't hard, but it takes time and an organized kitchen--two things I've been short on lately.

We are enjoying fresh garden fruits and vegetables, although I am starting to get into the time-consuming summer food preservation jobs now. I've made several batches of strawberry and raspberry jam, and froze crates of marionberries from Jim's parents vines. We had peas, which are now done, and are getting spinach, beets, a variety of lettuces, herbs and greens, and zucchini. Soon we'll have ripe tomatoes & green beans. It is time for me to replant the spinach and greens. Jim informed me that some of our 17 varieties of apples and pears are now ready to pick...applesauce anyone?

Sunday--grilled salmon, smashed red potatoes, frozen corn from last year's garden, homemade ice cream with fresh raspberries

Monday--salad bar (grilled, chopped chicken breast, sliced hard-boiled eggs, garden greens, chopped tomatoes, raw zucchini, & cucumbers, shredded carrots & cheddar cheese, carmelized onions, buttermilk ranch dressing, club crackers)

Tuesday--Greens, Beans & Ham* served with rosemary buttermilk biscuits, & corn on the cob (*recipe from BH&G special interest publication called EAT--easy family food--Summer 2007)

2 15-ounce cans Great Northern beans

1 T. olive oil

6 cloves garlic, minced

2 c. cooked, smoked ham, cut into bite-sized strips

3 c. chopped, fresh spinach

Drain beans, reserving liquid. In a large non-stick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add beans and ham to the skillet. Cook about 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach; cover and cook for 2-5 minutes more or until fresh greens are wilted. If desired, thin mixture with some of the reserved liquid. Makes 4 servings.

Wednesday--French Dip sandwiches with green salad & homemade brownie ice cream sandwiches for dessert

Thursday--Muffuletta Subs*, fresh fruit (nectarines, strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries) with yogurt-honey dressing & reduced sweet rosemary balsamic glaze (*recipe from Taste of Home's Simple & Delicious, August 2007, p. 50)

1 c. pimiento-stuffed olives

1 c. pitted ripe olives

1 jar (7 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts, drained

1/2 c. mayonnaise

1 T. capers, drained (I omitted)

1/2 tsp. garlic salt (I used 1 small garlic clove)

6 submarine buns, split

1 pound sliced deli ham (I substituted oven roasted turkey, since ham was already on the menu earlier this week)

1/2 pound thinly sliced hard salami (I omitted)

12 slices American cheese (I used provolone cheese)

In a food processor, finely chop olives and artichokes. Add the mayo, capers, garlic; cover and process until blended. Spread over the cut sides of buns. Layer ham, salami and cheese on the bun bottoms; replace tops. Wrap each sanwich in foil; place on ann ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yields 6 servings.

Friday--grilled, marinated chicken breasts, sauteed zucchini, carrots and onions, baked potato wedges w/ olive oil, garlic, rosemary, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper

Saturday--leftovers

No comments: