
Last Tuesday I was at camp as a volunteer counselor with my oldest daughter, but the week before that I blogged about cleaning my girls' room.
Well, that same night (Tuesday, July 3), I was at Costco and found some kids furniture that stopped me in my tracks. In fact, it spoke to me--the reason why--because I had run out of good ideas for how to make this small bedroom work for two girls, until I saw the Cafe Kids Ashley trundle bed, tower bookcases and writing desk with hutch and chair, and because it was so ironic that I should find this answer to the problem of the cluttered room on the very same day I had tackled the project of purging the room.
The more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea. So, I talked to Jim about it, and with his 'blessing' took two trips (Thurs. and Friday that week) with our SUV to pick up the boxes of furniture. Thanks to my friend/neighbor who watched the kids Friday AM while I made the final trip. Friday night we put the bed together and set up the bookcases and desk.
Jessica said, "I can't believe I'm getting a new room. I mean,...I just can't believe this is happening to me!" Indeed, her thoughts echoed my own. It is a little girl's dream to have such a room with shelves to decorate and a desk to work at.
One of the tower bookcases is Cate's and one is Jess's. They can share the desk eventually, but for now it is all Jess's. She has set up her art supplies, writing stuff and books. She has a station to work at now for her 'book club' with her friend, Madison, she says.
Cate seems to like her new trundle, and stays in it well for naps and night time. Andrew slept in the trundle with her for the first couple nights. Here is a cute picture of the three of them sacked out together.
My projects to complete the room include making a fabric-covered bulletin board for above the desk, sewing a curtain for the closet door (we removed the heavy mirrored doors that the girls could no long open without help since the tracks were bent up--Jim never liked them anyway--He had always threatened to remove them when he kept catching Jess admiring herself in the mirror while talking to us), repainting a lamp I used to have in the room to go on the desk, and hang pictures, photos, small shelves, and hooks for bags and hats. Fun stuff!
No comments:
Post a Comment