I wait for this favorite season all year, and love it for all that it is--the sights, smells, weather/temperature changes, harvest bounty, and because of its warm, colorful, earthy feel. So today, under the circumstances, I think it is not eccentric of me to say that I am kind of feeling a little sadness. I've had to say good-bye much too soon to the four large, lush, green, shade-making-early-autumn-color-changing-birdhouse-hanging-peaceful-happy-atmoshere-making Locust trees that line our large backyard. Well, they're still there, in essence, but Jac has trimmed them up so severely that they resemble a short tree in the dead of winter, except with large stubs rather than spindley limbs sticking out. I am so un-enthused that I don't even want to show the before and after pics on this post--but, I probably should or you'll just think I'm being a drama queen.
Now this butcher-job was not an accident, mind you, but a planned event. He even explained what he was doing, and as usual, asked me if it was ok. I, being practical, said it was fine. I just didn't realize what the outcome would really be! You see, what makes matters worse, is that we just said good-bye to our greening-up-nicely-autumn grass when he sprayed out (killed) the lawn in the back last Friday because he wants to till it up, upgrade the sprinkler system, smooth out the gopher, mole, snake and grey-digger ruts that have formed after the 10+ years since the yard was first planted by the previous owner. It will be nice to have new yard, and I am grateful to have such a hard-working husband, so I have given him all my support in his related projects.
This would include the drastic tree trimming so that the falling leaves don't kill out the newly planted baby grass as it comes up, so that the overgrown trees don't break and fall onto the newly plated grass, and so that the trimming he usually does in January/February won't have to be done over the new lawn. These sound like fine reasons--better than his later admission that now we won't have so many leaves to rake up this fall. Yeah, but what's fall without falling leaves, really?
If I were to look on the bright side, I would say that at least the kids have had a blast building forts of the huge branches that are strewn over the backyard, playing army and jungle themed games, and helping their dad move branches with their work gloves on. And, my husband is getting a wonderful upper-body strengthening work out. Anything else? Hmmm--nope! Oh, wait...come spring, we will have a nice, large, dry pile to burn for our bon fires & hot dogs/smores roasting tradition so that we won't have to look at he pile anymore. No, maybe we'll burn it later this fall.
Now, please know I am not complaining, but just so shocked. I am amazed at how much this changes the atmosphere of our home. Our great room faces the backyard--my kitchen window, the windows from where we sit at the counter or dining table to do school, and the view we look at for our entire day, and we are home probably 80-90% of the time. It affects the amount and tint of the light that comes in these windows and our skylights. It is literally like erasing much of the color from our view and replacing it with gray. I guess I am struggling with this more because of the wonderful time we had just two weeks ago schooling in the yard under the green trees, sitting in the green grass, sipping cold water in 90 degree heat, and thinking/hoping then that summer would continue on longer.
Now this butcher-job was not an accident, mind you, but a planned event. He even explained what he was doing, and as usual, asked me if it was ok. I, being practical, said it was fine. I just didn't realize what the outcome would really be! You see, what makes matters worse, is that we just said good-bye to our greening-up-nicely-autumn grass when he sprayed out (killed) the lawn in the back last Friday because he wants to till it up, upgrade the sprinkler system, smooth out the gopher, mole, snake and grey-digger ruts that have formed after the 10+ years since the yard was first planted by the previous owner. It will be nice to have new yard, and I am grateful to have such a hard-working husband, so I have given him all my support in his related projects.
This would include the drastic tree trimming so that the falling leaves don't kill out the newly planted baby grass as it comes up, so that the overgrown trees don't break and fall onto the newly plated grass, and so that the trimming he usually does in January/February won't have to be done over the new lawn. These sound like fine reasons--better than his later admission that now we won't have so many leaves to rake up this fall. Yeah, but what's fall without falling leaves, really?
If I were to look on the bright side, I would say that at least the kids have had a blast building forts of the huge branches that are strewn over the backyard, playing army and jungle themed games, and helping their dad move branches with their work gloves on. And, my husband is getting a wonderful upper-body strengthening work out. Anything else? Hmmm--nope! Oh, wait...come spring, we will have a nice, large, dry pile to burn for our bon fires & hot dogs/smores roasting tradition so that we won't have to look at he pile anymore. No, maybe we'll burn it later this fall.
Now, please know I am not complaining, but just so shocked. I am amazed at how much this changes the atmosphere of our home. Our great room faces the backyard--my kitchen window, the windows from where we sit at the counter or dining table to do school, and the view we look at for our entire day, and we are home probably 80-90% of the time. It affects the amount and tint of the light that comes in these windows and our skylights. It is literally like erasing much of the color from our view and replacing it with gray. I guess I am struggling with this more because of the wonderful time we had just two weeks ago schooling in the yard under the green trees, sitting in the green grass, sipping cold water in 90 degree heat, and thinking/hoping then that summer would continue on longer.
I think this post has helped me in my minor grief. I'm spray painting some things outside and working on my computer armoire project. My wonderful husband took our two oldest down to the river with the boat for a ride and some Daddy-time this evening. He is great. My mother took Catherine home with her to her house yesterday (til Tuesday!)--she was up here to watch the kids play soccer games and to give us all haircuts. Yeah, she's pretty great, too. Things are looking up:)! Plus, it's beginning to get dark so soom I won't be looking at those stumps. Hee-hee! I just looked at the pics I added to this page and L'dOL!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment