Thursday, September 6, 2007

Something’s Fishy


We took some of our salmon/trout in to Tony’s Fish Market (est. in 1936) in Oregon City to get smoked today, and the kids plugged their noses upon entering as they caught a wiff of the strong fish smell. The man there leans over the counter plugging his nose, as well, and teases, “Ewwwww, it smells like kids in here!” They smiled, but kept holding their noses. Then he looks at Andrew and says, “So, I guess you don’t want to work here for me?” “No!” says Andrew. “Oh, cause I pay $20/hour!” I say, “Andrew, are you sure? That would buy you a lot of candy!” He whispers to me, “I think I’d get sick!” I laugh and say, “You’ll stick to catching the fish, huh?” “Yeah,” he says. Then the man tells a story of when his brother was six, found a $100 bill in his dad’s drawer, thought it was $1, took it to the store to buy candy, and came home with huge bags full of $100-worth in candy! Can you imagine? And that must have been thirty-forty years ago when candy cost much less!
Anyway, this charming exchange made up for the terrible smell at the fish house, and the feeling of bile that was rising in my throat, as well. Blah! It is nice (and often times rare) to find such kind/personable people out there. I really appreciate it when I do. It also makes me take note of my own attitude towards people I meet when I’m out and about. It can really make someone’s day to just take a little extra care in making kind conversation. This is also what Pastor Dale speaks of so often when he shares of his exchanges with people. We are called to love others, and we can show this in simple dealings with people of all walks in our day-to-day conversations. Yes, love covers a multitude of sins, and as I found today, love in the form of kindness also covers some of the stench of a fish cannery.

No comments: